- News: Mourinho sends Rooney message
- News: Ed Woodward returns to United amid transfer talks
- Match report: Mourinho begins second Chelsea spell with win
- News: Mourinho: Rooney as back-up will hurt England
- News: United reject Chelsea bid for Rooney
- News: Hazard wants ‘brilliant’ Rooney at Chelsea
- News: Rooney ‘angry and confused’ at Manchester United
- Profile: Wayne Rooney
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has revealed that Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney is the club’s only transfer target this summer.
The Blues confirmed on Wednesday that they have made a bid for Rooney, but denied reports that the offer was £10 million plus Juan Mata or David Luiz.
Just a few hours later news broke that United chief executive Ed Woodward had left the club’s pre-season tour of Australia to carry out urgent transfer business, presumed to involve the England international.
And speaking in Bangkok during Chelsea’s pre-season tour, Mourinho, who has expressed his liking of Rooney in the past, said the ball was now in United’s court as to whether the ex-Everton man would be making a move to West London.
“I think that this situation is clear – nothing is a secret anymore,” he said. “The official bid is just about a certain amount of money and doesn’t involve players. We want the player. We made the bid and now we have nothing more to say. Now it’s up to Manchester United.”
Asked if Chelsea had made any other bids, Mourinho said: “No, and we won’t.”
Asked whether it is now “Rooney or bust”, Mourinho said: “Yes.”